Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
X

Blog

< go back to blog

Grants Meeting Update

Great Meeting Everyone!

In attendance:

In attendance:

Courtney Long Colleene Statler Chris Beachy
Ray Meylor Sue Meylor Julia McGuire
Ralph Chiodo

 

IDALS (Specialty Crop Grant):

The thought is for the proposal to focus on – Research type project to create a transferable model for Urban Speciality Crop Production with a youth educational focus.  There are many layers to this within our project. (Did I get that Right Courtney?)

  • Courtney is going to call about the probability of the project for funding and report back.
  • Chris is eligible to work on this grant, but has limited time.  Prefers to be used as consultant, and editor/proof reader.
  • Colleene, Julia, and Ralph expressed interest in helping with this grant.

We will take steps to move forward on this grant after Courtney reports back after speaking with the grant administrator.

It was suggested by Sue and strongly seconded by Chris that we should have youth hand deliver the RFP in the final minutes prior to the deadline, if at all possible.

Trees Forever Grant:

Very simple application.  Ray Meylor suggested cultivar of trees from ISU publication.  We will have 2 youth groups submit grants, each for ½ the trees needed (10).

  • Ralph to send Colleene and Kylie copy of chosen varieties and link to suggested supplier(s).  See attached Word Doc.
  • Youth will research price for each variety to establish dollar amount for grant & submit grant(s) by March 30, 2015

I attached the original publication of “Fruit Cultivars of Iowa”.  Within it is a list of nurseries that can supply (pg 15). Here is the link to the one suggested as an “example” by Trees Forever:

http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees;jsessionid=7CF3118C64F24208A130064141E77093

I have also attached a “Rough Draft” of the grant I filled out to answer some of the questions.

REAP:

Colleene expressed interest in doing this with 4-H.  She is going to focus on bringing in a youth educational aspect to it with a focus on soil amendments and improving soil quality and decreasing runoff.  (Does that sound correct, Colleene).  She believes this is an area that will be of particular interest to her daughter!  WOO HOO! I love hearing that! =).  We hope to get funding to cover the cost of compost and hauling, as well as any other soil amendments we might need.

  • Ralph – will connect Colleene with Ray Meylor, Jennifer Welch, and John Swanson to get more information on the program.  (There are two attachments that pertain to REAP with this email.)
  • Ray Meylor – will advise on necessary steps and amendments necessary.  He also has established relationship with John and Jennifer at Polk Water & Soil

Upcoming Events:

3/17 St. Patrick’s Day Parade

5/16 Ground Breaking/Planting

Upcoming Meetings:

Event Date / Time Location
Communications Meeting Thursday 3/5 @ 4:45 Smokey Row
Youth Engagement Meeting Saturday 3/7 @ 12pm Smokey Row
Design Subcommittee Meeting Tuesday 3/10 @ 6 pm Smokey Row
Monthly Whole Team Planning Meeting Monday 3/16 @ 6pm St. Vincent de Paul1426 6th Ave 50314
Grants meeting Thursday 3/26 @ 5pm Smokey Row

Thanks for all your hard work!  You guys are awesome!

Ralph Chiodo II, President

Forest Ave Outreach 

     ~Growing Community, One Seed at a Time

www.Facebook.com/ForestAveOutreach

sig